International business travel, and the number of globally mobile employees, continues to increase and the challenges for travel managers in effectively managing employees on trips are highlighted in a recent survey by ECA International.
Respondents to the survey, while providing useful information on the detail of their travel policies, identified two main concerns in successfully managing these trips. Firstly, keeping track of business travellers from a compliance and tax perspective, and secondly monitoring and controlling the costs of trips.
Surprisingly, despite the need to control costs, almost 100% of respondents to the survey confirmed that their policy is to provide hotel accommodation or serviced apartments for short stays, rather than using home sharing sites such as Airbnb.
"While 71% of companies keep track of some or all of their business travellers, the remaining 29% are leaving themselves open to the risk of non-compliance with tax or immigration regulations. This in turn could lead to unforeseen costs in the form of fines and damage to the company’s reputation."